How To Create A CRA Account And Why
Creating a CRA account comes with many benefits. A lot of people might avoid it because they see it as another hurdle in the tax process. However, having a CRA account means that your taxes are only going to be easier to file.
Benefits of a CRA account
To start, it’s available for 21 hours a day. The site undergoes daily maintenance making it unavailable from 3 am – 6 am. Otherwise, you’ve got full access! The site is also fast and extremely easy to use. When you have an account, you’re able to access plenty of secure information that makes your tax process smooth and streamlined.
Other ways to access a CRA account include:
You might need to access these accounts based on who you’re filing for. However, for now, we’ll only be covering My Account for Individuals and My Business Account.
MyCRA mobile app
MyBenefits CRA mobile app
My Business account
CRA BizApp mobile app
How do I do it?
It might be easier than you think to create an account. We’ve broken it down for different users so you know exactly what steps you need to follow when signing up. After signing up, you’ll be issued a CRA security code which you’ll need to access your information when you sign in to your account.
My Account for Individuals:
Head to this page.
You’ll need your general information: Date of birth, postal code, and Social Insurance Number (SIN)
Have a copy of your tax returns handy
Create a CRA user ID and password. You’ll also need to set up security questions
My Business Account:
First, go to this link.
- You’ll need: Date of birth, postal or ZIP code, and SIN
- You’ll also need to enter an amount you entered on one of your income tax and benefit returns from the current tax year, or the previous one
- Next, select the preferred delivery service of your CRA code
- Now you’ll need to create your profile which includes a user ID and passcode complete with security questions
- Make sure you have your business number handy when signing in
FAQ’s on CRA accounts:
- Yes! Simply enter your TTN or ITN when prompted for your SIN (Social Insurance Number)
If you’ve completed the registration through My Account for Individuals, My Business Account, the MyCRA app, MyBenefits CRA app, or CRA BIZApp, you’ll be issued a code. You can also choose to have it mailed to you so make sure you have updated your address.
Yes. However, for some services, more identity information will be needed.
That should cover all you need to know about starting a CRA account. Now, put 5 minutes aside and go for it!
We’re here to help or answer any questions you might have about the process.